HMCS Oshawa (J330/174) was an Algerine-class minesweeper of the Royal Canadian Navy. She was commissioned in July 1944, and wore pennant J330 until she was paid off into reserve in July 1945. She was recommissioned for the last time in April 1956, and wore pennant 174 until paid off in November 1958.
Laid down: 6 October 1942
Launched: 6 October 1943
Commissioned: 6 July 1944
Decommissioned July 1945
Recommissioned October 1945
Decommissioned: February 1946
Recommissioned: April 1956
Decommissioned: November 1958
Motto: In omnia paratus )”Ready for all things”)
Honours and Awards: Atlantic, 1944-1945
Badge: Blazon Azure, three fish interlaced
Class and Type: Algerine-class minesweeper
Displacement: 990 t (970 long tons)
Length: 68.6 m (225 ft)
Beam: 10.8 m (35 ft 5 in)
Draft: 2.6 m (8 ft 6 in)
Propulsion: 2 x 3-drum Yarrow-style water tube all welded boilers 2 x 1,250 hp (932 kW) triple expansion engines
Speed: 16 knots (30 km/h; 18 mph)
Range: 430 mi (690 km)
Armament: 1 x single 4 in (100 mm), 4 x 20 mm AA guns, 1 x Hedgehog anti-submarine mortar
The Algerine-class was a class of minesweepers of the Royal Navy and the Commonwealth. 110 ships of the class were launched between 1942 and 1944 and served in World War II. They were designed as small vessels that could serve in several roles, not just as minesweepers, in practice the desperate shortage of convoy escorts in the Second Battle of the Atlantic meant that they served mainly in that role; twelve Algerines of the Royal Canadian Navy consequently never has minesweeping gear fitted. After the war, a number continued in service as patrol boats, survey ships, and training ships. Some were sold to other navies or into merchant service. At least one – HMCS Pickle (commanded by LT. Cmdr Hallifax) – was still engaged in minesweeping duties in British water as late as 1954. At least one Algerine is still in service with the Royal Thai Navy. HTMS Phosampton (ex-HMS Minstrel).
The History of the OSHAWA
HMCS Oshawa (J330/174) was an Algerine minesweeper of the Royal Canadian Navy Commissioned at Port Arthur on July 6, 1944, she arrived at Halifax on August 18. She worked up in Bermuda in September and on her return was allocated to EG W-6 of Western Escort Force as Senior Officer’s Ship. The group was disbanded in June, 1945, and Oshawa was paid off into maintenance reserve at Sydney on July 28. She was recommissioned on October 24, and in November sailed for Esquimalt. She arrived there December 21, and on February 26, 1946, was paid off into reserve. During one more commission from April 11, 1956 to November 7, 1958, she was extensively converted for oceanographic research, in which role she continued, civilian-manned, until sold and broken up at Victoria, B.C. in 1966.